Beets benefits for your health, from losing weight to better sex. Beets help you detox and lose weight because they contain no fat and are a good source of dietary fiber – half soluble and half insoluble. These two types help fight fat by maintaining proper bowel function and lowering cholesterol levels for weight loss. Beets are also a high source of magnesium. There are some theories that high levels of magnesium led to higher levels of testosterone — a hormone that promotes fat tissue loss and increases in muscle.
- • 3 medium dark red fresh beets, washed and trimmed
- • 1/4 cup olive oil
- • About 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- • 1 tablespoon of fragrant honey
- • 2-3 fresh garlic cloves finely grated or pressed
- • 1/2 to 3/4 cups finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- • About 8 chopped prunes or medjool dates
- • Salt to taste and about 10 grinds of black pepper
- • Zest of 1 medium lemon and about 1 tablespoon of juice
- • Fresh herbs such as basil, mint or tarragon, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wrap each beet in foil and roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour. Open the foil and let cool.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel using a paper towel, then grate on the large side of a box grater or cut into very thin matchsticks.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper; whisk together until slightly emulsified.
- Add the beets, walnuts, prunes or dates and the herbs you are using to the dressing and toss well to coat all the ingredients. Taste the salad for seasoning and add whatever you think it needs. Serve at room temperature or chilled, store in an airtight container.