What’s more comforting this time of the year than a warm bowl of homemade chicken soup? Not the stuff from a can – we’re talking about steaming, fragrant soup that starts with real vegetables and wholesome chicken. Not only is a bowl of this soup delicious and soul tickling, it’s also a great, light meal to keep you on track with your fitness and fat loss goals!
This chicken soup recipe is made without added carbs like noodles or potatoes. It’s filled with fiber, protein and lots of delicious flavor. Enjoy this on a cold winter day!
Here’s what you need…
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium organic yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 3 cups diced roasted chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 organic apple, chopped
- dash of salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- In a large pot, over medium heat, melt the coconut oil and add the onion, carrots and celery. After 5 minutes add the garlic and curry powder.
- After a couple minutes add the chicken broth, chicken, bay leaf, apple, pepper, thyme, and lemon zest. Stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, and some salt if desired, remove the bay leaf and serve.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 156 calories, 5g fat, 175mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 19g protein