There are certain food and drinks that are touted for their “healthy” benefits and here are some examples:
- Milk is a great source of calcium to build bones
- Orange juice provides plenty of Vitamin C
- Bananas contain lots of potassium and this helps muscles
- Red wine contains resveratrol which has been shown to lower cardiovascular disease
- Many fruits contain lots of fiber that help the GI tract
- Nuts have the “good” fats that promote better cardiovascular health
There are many other foods/snacks/drinks that are purported to be “healthy” due to some/many of their ingredients.
Turning to the weight control arena: Although marketed as “healthy”, many food/drinks/snacks, including those listed above, are NOT “healthy” for weight control. For example, the alcohol present in red wine slows down metabolism, the sugars present in bananas and fruits lead to weight gain and the type of protein in nuts is not as powerful for weight control as the proteins found in eggs, poultry, fish and red meat.
Vitamins, minerals and fiber can all be obtained with zero calories or fat simply by taking 0 calorie vitamins and supplements. The food sources providing these do contain calories and other ingredients that can derail our weight control efforts.
The formula for weight control: Maximize protein intake and minimize carbs/sugars. Check the labels of the food and drink items that are purportedly “good” for us and if you see calories, carbs, sugars and/or fats, seek alternative ways of obtaining the “healthy” ingredients.
Very challenging to think of a song that embraces the theme of this entry, so as this is April, I was searching for singers born in April, and here is a member of a group I like…Rudolph Isley of the Isley Brothers. Here is my favorite song of theirs…”Whose That Lady?”