FOR THE EGGPLANT
- 1⁄4cup all-purpose flour OR grounded mustard can be substitude for Phase One of the SP diatery plan
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut crosswise in 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2cup grated parmesan cheese
- tomato sauce (recipe below)
1⁄2cup chopped onion
1⁄4cup chopped celery
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1(14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
1⁄3cup tomato paste
1⁄4teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1⁄2teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 bay leaf
- For the Tomato Sauce: Saute the onion, celery, and garlic in oil in a saucepan until tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano and the bay leaf.
- Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until it is as thick as you would like. Take out the bay leaf, and set aside.
- For the Eggplant: Combine flour or grounded dry mustard and salt in a bowl.
- Dip the eggplant slices in egg, then in the flour mixture.
- Saute the slices in a skillet in the oil for 3 minutes on each side (or until brown), adding more oil if needed. Drain the eggplant well on paper towels.
- Lay 1/2 of the eggplant in a single layer in a 10 x 6 x 2-inch baking dish, cutting the slices to fit if needed.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese, 1/2 of the sauce
- Repeat layers.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot, uncovered.