How about satisfying your pumpkin craving with a savory soup instead of a sweet dessert? This is a great recipe to warm up with on a chilly autumn night.
- 1 butternut pumpkin, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup of skim milk
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, stirring, or until soft and golden. Add cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring for 1 minute or until aromatic.
2. Add pumpkin and stir to coat. Add stock and curry powder. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Stir in milk and transfer to mixing bowl or blender. Blend until smooth or as desired. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle soup among serving bowls. Top with a dollop of natural yoghurt. Sprinkle with coriander and serve.