Cooking together is a great activity to engage kids during long periods at home. For those of us spending time alone together, this is a recipe that doesn’t require a trip to the store. Use what you have and skip what you don’t.
For the Roasted Garlic
- one head of garlic
- a few tablespoons of olive oil
For the Tempeh Cubes
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 2 TB ketchup
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 TB agave
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
For the Soup
- cauliflower (4 or 5 cups)
- carrots or brocolli (3-4 cups, your choice)
- broth! (1-2 cups)
- thyme, onion powder, garlic powder (1 tsp each, plus more to taste)
- scallions or any greens you already have
- something crispy (I used airfried sliced mushrooms or zuchinni chips or bacon )
- low fat cheese
TO PREPARE THE GARLIC
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lop off some of the top, just enough to expose the garlic.
- Drizzle exposed top with olive oil.
- Wrap in foil and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Allow to cool, then pop the garlic from the garlic skin.
FOR THE TEMPEH
- Cut the tempeh into 1X1-inch cubes
- Whisk together the rest of the tempeh ingredients. Add tempeh, toss, and allow to marinate for 1 hour to overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat. Space the cubes out evenly onto it. Drizzle any remaining marinade over the top. Place into a preheated 400-degree oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn each piece of tempeh. Repeat on different sides for about 5 minutes until deeply golden all over. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
FOR THE SOUP
- Make cauliflower soup. Cube up 4 cups worth of cauliflower (carrots, broccoli) and boil until fork tender.
- Drain, return to the pot. Add in 1 tsp or so of dried thyme, onion and garlic powders. Stir to combine. Add the roasted garlic and any of the extra oil.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth, stir.
- Transfer half to a blender, allow to cool, then blend until smooth. Add more broth if you’d like.
- Return to the pot and stir until you have a chunky soup.
- Want protein? Add in any meat or fish or eggs. Toss them into the blender with the califflower/carrots/brocolli if you want them smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish as desired with whatever you’ve got.